A pantry in the kitchen might not seem like a big deal at first, but when faced with clutter or lack of storage, it is easy to see why they are important. A pantry is basically a tiny room, but it is large enough to store a variety of food items. A big advantage is that once the doors are opened, most of the items inside will be on display. This improves accessibility and makes cooking less stressful. When you want to come up with the right design, there are some good questions you should consider first.
- How tall will it be? Since the pantry is meant to serve as storage, it makes sense to use as much of the available space as possible. If the pantry will extend to the ceiling, you can install a sliding ladder to enable you to reach the top shelves. A stepladder can also work if you have a place to put it.
- What types of materials should I use? As with most kitchens, wood is the traditional choice, but engineered wood is sturdy enough to last for years. If you have a tight budget, you can use plywood and stain it yourself. Add metal racks to increase storage and to add a decorative touch.
- How many shelves will it need? You have full control over the look and size of your pantry. Use shelving of varying heights to accommodate items of different sizes. This will also give the pantry an interesting look. Arrange the shelving so that you can keep items in full view, as opposed to placing some items behind others.
- Will it need light? This depends on the size of pantry, since some are so small they function almost like cupboards. However, if the pantry is large enough to walk into, lighting is essential. Even if you are lucky enough to have it in a location where there is a window, the pantry will need lighting. Make sure the switch is positioned on the outside.
- Where should I put it? The location of the pantry can affect your efficiency in the kitchen. It should not be too far from the meal preparation area and the stove. You should also avoid a situation where moving from the pantry to the stove impedes traffic in the kitchen.
- How can I make it unique? Even with a simple pantry you can show some creativity. Consider adding hidden pull-out shelves and incorporating a wine rack into the design. Think about other features you can add to make the pantry kitchen friendly and organized.
Questions that Will Help You Build the Best Pantry for Your New Kitchen
It does not take long to construct the average pantry. They can be added to an existing kitchen with little disruption to your daily routine. Call us at 505-991-0063 when you’re ready to begin the kitchen pantry design process.